Air India

 

Sub-zero temperature affects fish prices – Shrimping season officially closed

Sub-zero temperature affects fish prices – Shrimping season officially closed
 
KUWAIT: The ‘shrimping season’ is officially closed from today amidst sub-zero temperature, rendering the product even more expensive, an official at the Mubarakiya market said yesterday. The Public Authority for Agricultural Affairs and Fish Resources (PAAAFR) bans the sale of local shrimp every year to allow the shrimp to multiply and mature since the only source of shrimps is found about 20 miles from Kuwait Bay.
 
Kuwait bans harvesting local shrimp from Jan 15 till mid-August, but one can find shrimps from Iran, Saudi Arabia and other sources in the market during the period of ban, though in limited amount. Jalal Majid, an official at Mubarakiya Market, confirmed that the ban came into effect today. “The last day of selling local shrimp will be today. Starting tomorrow, we will have to display and sell shrimps from other sources,” he said. Majid also reminded customers to expect higher prices in the coming days due to cold weather prevailing in the past three to four days. “Everything has gone up compared to previous days.
 
Just two days ago, shrimps were selling at KD3.5 per kilo for jumbo size, compared to today’s price of KD5,” he said. “Same with the Zubaidi which till three days ago was selling for only KD10-12 but is now fetching KD14-15 already,” Majid disclosed. “There is a shortage of stocks but this is nothing new for the fish market. We usually have somewhat limited sources of marine products,” he added. About 20 percent of Kuwait’s market needs are obtained from Kuwaiti waters, while the remaining 80 percent are imported from neighboring countries such as Iran, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Thailand.
 
Press reports claimed PAAAFR is contemplating a ban on fishing in the entire Kuwaiti water for at least two years to re-populate all its marine life which is currently being harvested by people. Fishermen in Kuwait have welcomed the suggestion while demanding to be ‘fully compensated’ if ever the ban is implemented. “While we do not know whether they are serious about the ban, but many of us in the Fishermen’s Union will abide by it if the plan was to be implemented. However, we will need a reasonable compensation if it happens,” a source from Fishermen’s Union told Kuwait Times when interviewed for the subject.
 
Source: Kuwait Times
 
 
 
IFL REPUBLIC DAY 2020
  
  
 
 vasantha bhavan
  
 Vaigai Hair Products
  
Raghavendra Matriculation School